Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 scallops rinsed and dried on a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium size shitake mushrooms sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup panko
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Butter a shallow 1 quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the scallops and toss them in the flour (make sure they are completely covered).
- Melt the butter in a sautéed pan. Add the scallops to the pan and cook for 1 minute per side. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Add the olive oil, onions, mushrooms and pinch of salt and pepper to the pan and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Return to the pan and add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes get soft and release their juice (about 3 minutes). Add the white wine and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Transfer to the baking dish and cover the scallops with the sauce. Sprinkle the panko evenly over the dish. Bake until the panko starts to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with a tossed salad for a light meal or over pasta.