Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 12 scallops rinsed and dried on a paper towel
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 can (14oz) garbanzo beans
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, cut in half and then into half moons
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 4 brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of flour
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ cup white wine or chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pinch of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees F.
- Mix the squash, garbanzo beans, ½ teaspoon each of the sage and thyme in bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the bowl and stir. Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the squash is tender and the beans start to crisp. Set aside.
- Rinse the quinoa under water and transfer to a medium pot with water and salt. Bring the water to a boil and then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms, a pinch of salt and the remaining ½ teaspoon of sage and thyme. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and starting to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Set aside. Save the sautéed pan.
- Mix the brussel sprouts with the parsley, vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the sautéed pan. Sprinkle the scallops with a pinch of flour, salt and pepper. Add the scallops to the pan in a single layer and cook 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add the dijon mustard and cook until fragrant (less then a minute). Lower the heat and slowly add the wine or stock whisking to incorporate. Let it bubble for a minute and add the heavy cream. Let it bubble for a minute or until it starts to thicken. Transfer to a bowl.
- To serve: Divide the quinoa in each bowl and layer the ingredients. Top the bowl with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.