Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 5oz filet mignon cuts
- 2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 scallops rinsed and dried on a paper towel
- 1 tablespoon each fresh chopped basil, parsley, and tarragon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken stock
- ½ lb steamed asparagus
- 8 baby red or yellow potatoes (or a mixture of both) steamed or boiled
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Mix the herbs, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss the scallops, coating them with the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Mix the basil, parsley, and tarragon in a small bowl.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of olive oil each on the filet, and sprinkle each filet on all sides with the spice mixture.
- Set aside on a plate.
- In a medium cast iron skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Sear the filet 4 to 5 minutes per side, adding 1 tablespoon of butter on the second turn.
- Transfer to the oven and roast until a meat thermometer registers 130 degrees F for medium rare (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer the meat to a plate, and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Return the cast iron to the stove top, carefully holding it with mitts.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and transfer the scallops and oil mixture to the pan.
- Cook the scallops 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the scallops to the filet plate.
- Off of the heat, add the wine or stock (it will bubble from the heat), scrapping any brown bits.
- Return to medium heat and let it reduce for about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Slice the scallops into ¼ inch disks.
- Smash the boiled or steamed potatoes and place 4 on each plate in a single layer.
- Top with asparagus.
- Place the filet on top of the vegetables, cover the steak with the sliced scallops, and drizzle with the pan juice reduction.